Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Toddler Property Laws


I
f I like it, it's mine.

If it's in my hand, it's mine.
If I can take it away from you, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
If we are building something together, all of the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
If I think it's mine, it's mine.
If I give it to you, and change my mind later, it's mine.
If it's broken, it's yours.
- Unknown

I came across this little poem in a child development book the other night (yes, I do read them from time to time) and it just tickled my fancy. Truer words were never spoken and I have proof of that every day with Sam and the little girl I babysit, Sophia. They are 6 months apart (Sam is older) and just the epitome of toddler development. The following picture is a perfect example:

Obviously one or more the toddler laws were broken and they are "making up" or, rather, hugging like they were told to because "we treat our friends nicely."


I have to be honest - I read these child development books because I have no idea what I'm doing. It's a good thing I believe in prayer because I fly by the seat of my pants most of the time. I don't take everything the books say as a hard and fast rule, but, as I'm sure you know, it's been several years since I've had to deal with a toddler. The last toddler I had was a dream child. Couldn't ask for a more agreeable, pleasant, adorable little pumpkin. These two test my patience every day. Every hour. Every minute. Okay, maybe just every hour - except when they nap. If they keep the commandments the way they stick to the property laws, they'll have no problems in the eternities :)

Oh, but I do love them so.



P.S. I also caught this little gem on Facebook of all places:

"Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them all of it has always been big stuff." - Catherine M. Wallace


Good advice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this!!!!

Christine said...

Very good advice!